Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Ugh, that was terrible.

My CICL game last night was terrible. I had a combination where I was going to win the exchange, but I lost the thread. My opponent was threatening to win a piece and I could not calculate the way out. I sat there for 15 minutes and couldn't see a way through, so I resigned. My opponent was surprised, so I said, "I can't get out of losing a piece, so I'm resigning. My opponent was like, "Well, okay, but I think Nd5 works." I wasn't sure what line had led me to discount that move, but it appeared not to work when I calculated it and it appeared to work when I saw it on the board. Drat. Rybka later confirmed that Nd5 was okay and kept things at about White's typical advantage. Not as good as things were earlier, but definitely okay. Frig. But, you know, if you're not in a position to fight for and find the best moves in the position, you might as well resign. If I had been asked to make a move at the exact instant I resigned instead of playing on, anyway, it would not have been Nd5.

The most annoying part was seeing when I got home that, yes, indeed, I had correctly seen that I was supposed to win an exchange. I played the move from the wrong line, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment