Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Game statistics over the last year

I should perhaps wait until July, because at that point I would have been playing OTB again for a year, but here is a chart of my performance by rating level over the last 12 months (using post-tournament ratings).
As can be clearly seen, I need to lose more games. I am perhaps overrated at 1730, but there is no way to know that if I am playing only groups that I can score 75% against. It would be nice if I could play more tournaments, since 25 rated games in 12 months is not very much. I have gone on about it before, but one thing rapidly improving young juniors (and presumably other improvers) have in common is that they play a lot of rated games. Some of them play a tournament every weekend. Some can manage more than that, even. As for me, if you go back to when I was rated 1230, I have played eleven events to go up 500 points since then. And that is over the course of 20 years. In the graph, green indicates a period of inactivity greater than 3 months. Also note that I probably had not yet caught up to my actual strength in the 2011 spike.
Granted, in the last year I've played over 6000 games on lichess including an average of at least one 45+45 or longer game per week. However, I just cannot or do not take online games as seriously as OTB games. But I think they're helpful even if I don't do that. Both graphs courtesy of my USCF page.

No comments:

Post a Comment