Thursday, August 4, 2011

I escaped with a draw

I suppose he didn't fancy the queen ending. I'm going to play this out against a computer a few times, but I thought he had all the winning chances. I had White, he just moved and offered a draw, I accepted.

I play Kd4, of course. I think his plan should be to try to lose a move so that my king is on c3 when he gets his to f5, so I respond to ...Kf5 with Kd4 instead of Kxd5 followed by a pawn race. I think in that position, the plan of ...g5 trading off pawns leads to a win for Black. Maybe I'm calculating wrong. Hence my plan of playing this evening against the computer.

EDIT: I believe he was worried about lines involving 1.Kd4 Kf5 2.Kxd5 and then pawn races leading to a volatile queen endgame, so he didn't want to try any breakthrough, which means he may as well offer a draw. I thought he could lose a move, forcing me to burn my free tempo with a3, then lose another move so that I end up on c3 when he plays ...Kf5, which then quickly gets complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment