Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chess is such a difficult game.

I'm lazily going through level 30 of CT Art again. I'm not going very well because I'm going through it lazily. It's also annoying because a lot of the combinations have +/- evaluations at the end (maybe it won a pawn, sometimes it's just a won endgame), and when I'm going through lazily, I'm just looking for something more decisive. I figured it's a lower level combination, so it's going to be something obvious. On the level 60 and above, getting a +/- was good enough, so I'd look for that.

Anyway, other news: some people in the local chess league are organizing a tournament over the summer, one game every 2 weeks, eight rounds. I'm in. This will force me to get some slow practice. Though I'm kind of curious how they will do this, because they are thinking of a 9-person round-robin, but 9 is odd. I'm sure they'll figure it out. I'd also rather play in a stronger section than the one I'll probably be in. I'd rather score 2-3/8 and work hard than score 7/8 against weak players, though I certainly understand that the organizers of the tournament might not want somebody who'd score 1-2/8 in a section of a round robin.

EDIT: Not to get ahead of myself. Perhaps the low section will indeed be challenging and I'd score 4-6/8 (or less!). That would be great. However, if I'm in the low section and have a lot of easy games, I'll be bored. If you win a tournament, it's because your opposition is too weak for you (at least, while you're still a developing player).

No comments:

Post a Comment