Monday, February 7, 2011

Playing Chess Again

So I decided to start playing chess again. I'm web-logging some thoughts about it. I'll start with some easy goals.

GOALS:
1. Keep playing regularly for at least a few years.
2. Get rating over 1600.
3. Play "Real Chess" all the time. (cf Dan Heisman)

Those are quite modest. I'd eventually like to get to class A and perhaps even Expert, but don't know whether I will invest the time. These modest goals are a good base, though.

Here's my plan of attack:
1. Play a lot of slow games against stronger opponents and analyze them afterwards.
2. Work on a lot of tactical exercises (I have CT Art, Polgar's brick, and Sharpen Your Tactics).
3. Play through a lot of annotated master games. I'm planning on blitzing through 500 Master Games, working at a 20-minute-per-game pace through a couple Euwe and Chernev books, and going very slowly through more advanced tomes when I am ready. All three schools of thought about playing through annotated master games are being represented here...
4. At some point, start working through endgames. I have Silman's manual.
5. At some point, start working through strategy tomes (like Pachman, Silman, and My System, possibly starting with more simple books).

I think the cornerstone is #1, but it's also the one I'm least apt to do. I think those "at some point" things are going to start either after I've played in a few tournaments or in May when I'm done with classes and therefore have more time. Right now I basically have time to play over a game on the train to work, a game on the train back from work, and some tactics at some point in the evening. I can play a slow game or two on the weekend and maybe blitz through some master games (or play over one very slowly) at some other point in the week. Between work, school (part-time evening classes for a masters in maths stuff), other hobbies (powerlifting), church, and family, I don't have any time...

EDIT: Though I have ratings-based goals, I'm going to try not to care about winning and losing, but rather playing opponents stronger than I am and improving my play. However, one expects that one's rating increases thereby and there is a series of monthly tournaments near me that is restricted to people with a rating over 1600.

No comments:

Post a Comment