Monday, February 21, 2011

Working through Lasker's Manual of Chess

It's great so far. I finished the first book of it pretty quickly, as it's the simple stuff, but it's important to re-educate yourself about the basics. I glanced over the next book (openings), the combinations section, and the last bit about philosophy and chess education, kind of trying to get a feel for how I would progress through the book. I thought, initially, that I'd go straight to the combinations section and work through it, possibly never going back to the openings section. However, after reading a review on ChessCafe.com, I was convinced of the importance of Lasker's treatment of the openings in his system even if the lines are outdated. I think it will also be helpful to me because I'm going through 500 Master Games, and most games are from this era. The amount of space Lasker spends on each opening is also proportional to the space taken in 500..., so it works out nicely.

Maybe I should have gone over the first book more closely. I still don't really know how to do the bishop + knight mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment