Monday, May 23, 2011

I suck at "positional" chess

I've been working through Yusupov and barely passed the last couple tests I took which were on more "positional" themes. It's very rough going. Granted, they are still heavily tactical. Fortunately, I still understand the solutions once I see them. If I get to the point where I can't even appreciate why what Yusupov suggests is better than what I'm trying, I'm going to have to back off and try again. Hopefully this struggle will raise the level of my game.

I'm also still going through CT Art. I'm working on level 40 right now. I'm going through a little faster than last time and getting a slightly better score. Perhaps I should slow down and get a truly better score. This is the level where there are some I can't understand at all and some I can get instantly. There were only a couple that I couldn't understand on level 30, they were often ones where you went through a drastic simplification that nets you a pawn, so I didn't feel so bad about failing to understand. I was looking for something bigger in those.

I'm also still reading through games collections.

I did a very small bit of opening preparation. I blitzed through a few games in the Danish Gambit just to familiarize myself with the black side of the game and glanced at a couple articles. Just enough to make sure I don't fall into a stupid trap and play reasonably when I run into it.

So that's my status report. I hope I figure out this "positional" chess thing soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment