Thursday, May 19, 2011

What I Really Need

I need a nice book of annotated games that fits in my coat pocket. The Capablanca endings book did. Most of the Dover books do, but the Alekhine one I'm working on only barely does because it is thick. The Mammoth one is too thick. There's just something awkward about carrying a book around on its own, mostly because it's free when you're done traveling. With a coat, you have somewhere to put it.

This is mostly moot, though, since I won't be wearing a coat anymore in a couple weeks. I will have to endure.

So I'm currently reading through these collections of annotated games:
1. Alekhine.
2. Mammoth - starting as soon as I'm no longer wearing a coat.
3. Most Instructive Games by Chernev. It's an old, beaten-up copy that I won't travel with. I should probably just buy a new copy, it's cheap and portable.

I'm also working on Yusupov, but that's always been too big for my pocket. I plan to start glancing through some endgame stuff, too. I'm playing through CT Art when at home. I think this curriculum should be more than enough for now if I can get enough good games in. One game every two weeks against a human is a good start, I can plan to play a game against the computer or something on the off weeks and find a tournament or two over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment