Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Round 2.

I came about 15 minutes late because work was being lame. Goverment audits and such. I played very sloppily and won. I had white, my opponent played the Petroff and I won a piece rather quickly. At one point, I sat there for a good long think trying to see if a particular attacking idea worked (around Nxf7), but it didn't, so I got another piece out. He responded and I quickly played Nxf7?? because I thought I recalled that the attack worked after his reponse. It didn't. Sadly, I could've just played Nxd7 (a knight) and had an absurd advantage, since the pieces just start coming off. In fact, I had a way to preserve most of my advantage after Nxf7, but didn't, and ended up "only" a pawn ahead. Indeed, part of what made me so lazy was that I'd be up a pawn against a guy who pretty much just gave a piece to me for free earlier, so I could be a little lax (bad habit!). Later, he had a chance to equalize a bit, but he didn't take it, and then he made an ill-advised rook trade that left me with the only active rook. And then he dropped a piece again and resigned. Not my best game. In the future, just keep the advantage, no need to get fancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment