Wednesday, June 22, 2011

chess.com winning streak might be ending soon.

I played a little carelessly in one of my chess.com games, so now I'm going for wild counterplay to keep it interesting. Right now the material is even, but we're about to get into some vicious and unclear waters. I'll just have to keep this in mind: they can only take one piece at a time. I may end up down a piece when the dust clears, but that was what I was avoiding by going into the complications, I think. I also dropped a pawn in my Dilworth game, so now I don't have much compensation.

I'm on chapter 20 of the Yusupov book now and am still going over tactics problems. I haven't taken a good look at my games yet.

Don't tell my chess set, but I played a different 4 hour strategy game last night. It was fairly fun, but I'm definitely not a "gamer". I like my games to have perfect information and my work to have stochastic processes, not vice versa. And, yes, I know that's not a dichotomy...

EDIT: I wonder about the psychological effects of conditional moves. I just used a conditional move in my dangerous crazy freewheeling game. I hope that makes him think I have something forced up my sleeve, but it was more so that I wouldn't chicken out after his response! Still, if you know every other move loses and this one is unclear, choose the unclear move. And, in the end, it's chess.com, not nuclear warfare.

EDIT EDIT: Okay, that was boring, my opponent basically accepted being down two pawns after a few minutes of thinking instead of going into this slugfest. I expected to barely get out of this alive! One variation I looked at had me with a knight, bishop, and couple extra pawns against a rook and pawns (not forced and probably not the best moves). I might post a position once the game is over. I expect Houdini will give me a stern talking-to about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment