Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Boost Your Chess!

I started Boost Your Chess 1 and am enjoying it. More of the same good stuff. It is very nice.

On chess.com, I just bungled a game against a friend of mine, but he bungled it, too, and I managed to get him to force a draw. I don't know whether I had a forced win earlier, and since it was a three-day-per-move game I probably should have taken more time to verify I did not (I'm pretty sure I didn't). But I am happier with the draw than with the loss for sure. One thing I don't like about chess.com is that it presumes that somebody who is unrated is 1200 when it calculates how your rating takes a hit.

I also started up a game against somebody who turned out to be undefeated and, though only rated 1865 on chess.com, is rated 2000 in real life. He's only 1865 on chess.com because he has mostly played low-rated players. My only hope, I think, is to go for a "correspondence game" type position - sharp tactics and what-not and hope that my theory ends up being sharper than his theory, but it looks like he's playing a staid line of the Vienna Game. Drat!

In other news, I'm taking up the role of co-captain on my company's CICL team.

No comments:

Post a Comment