Friday, July 1, 2011

Tournament tomorrow!

I'm playing in the double class tournament starting tomorrow. It's a 40/90, SD/30 time control, which is a little slower than I'm used to, but it's a time control I should learn to play. I've been playing G/90 lately, but I've been going fast because I've been getting winning positions. I'll try to make the most of my time. The SD/30 is kind of fast, IMO, for a secondary time control, so I'll think of this as like a G/120 and possibly leave some time at the end of 40 moves unless the game looks like it won't need that much for the finale.

I think if I win money at this, I'll go to the Chicago Class in two weeks. If not, I'll go to the North Shore Chess Center tournament in two weeks. It sounds kind of lame to predicate this stuff on winning money, but it's one thing to spend $100 on chess tournaments in a month, another to spend $200. Even though it's a shorter time control, I think the NSCC tournament would be better for my development as a player because the players will be stronger than the ones I'd play in the class tournament (even if I played up a section). A challenging (but feasible) G/45 is going to be better than a less-challenging or trivial 40/2 SD/60. As I said, if I do win money, I thnk I'll play in the Chicago Class, but then it's a question of whether I'll play my own section or play up. I just don't think I'll get good games if I play my own section - Section D (!). I probably need to play against B and maybe C players to get a good game. So I could play in the C section - but what about the chance of filthy lucre in the D class? Ah, filthy lucre...

No comments:

Post a Comment