Monday, July 18, 2011

Survived the Marshall Attack.

That was a close one. My scheduled opponent forfeited, so I played a game against somebody who had a bye. He played the Marshall. I thought, oh, drat, I don't know any Marshall theory and this is a highly theoretical system. Anyway, I held onto my pawn and I think I went into the ending with a positional advantage, but I think erroneously simplified down to a knight vs bishop ending (I had the knight and an extra pawn) instead of keeping the rooks and keeping some pressure on. I still had all the winning chances, I think, but I made a mistake which let his king in and rapidly changed the evaluation. I think I had a draw set up, but then I made a mistake which let him simplify to a very easily won pawn endgame. Oops. I was about to resign, but I decided to let it go just a little bit longer and he made a mistake which made the ending turn into a dead drawn Q vs Q+P ending. I queened first and then won his extra pawn, forcing the draw. Hard work. A swindle.

EDIT: Since my scheduled opponent forfeited, that puts me at 6-0 for the tournament. It's a round-robin with 8 games and, based on the scores, I think it's highly unlikely that anybody will catch me in my section. I also think I'm 7.5/8 for all the CICL games I've played - still undefeated!

No comments:

Post a Comment