Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Finished Build Up Your Chess 1

I found it tremendously helpful and informative. The exercises were hard work and were very rewarding. I am going to review the material some more, play over some of the variations in the chapters and exams a few more times to make sure I've got it all and then I will start Boost Your Chess. I have to guard myself against laziness in doing this, especially as I work these things out on the train. You are supposed to go over every variation and spend 1-2 hours on each lesson. Then you are supposed to spend 1-2 hours on each exam, writing out all the relevant variations. The temptation to do less is great. I passed the final exam with a "Good" score, but not "Excellent", and there were a couple problems I just did not get at all.

Still undecided about what I'm going to do in terms of chess tournaments in the next few weeks. There are several opportunities to play on Sunday afternoons and there is the opportunity to play in the Chicago Class, but that would take all weekend and the wifing unit might feel neglected if I do that. I'm taking the car in to get some work done on the brakes, so I might not have it back by this Sunday, so that would answer the question of this week's tournament. Beyond that, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment