Monday, July 18, 2011

Mysterious Line in the Cordel: When Does Bxf2+ work?

Twice now scholastic players have played the Cordel and, when I eventually went for the center fork trick, played Bxf2+. The first time, it was at a point where he could recover the piece, but he wasn't doing himself any favors. The second just gave up the piece for nothing, but I played inaccurately and had to give it back. For those wondering, here's the latest line (IIRC): 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Bc5 4. c3 d5 5. Nxe5 Bxf2+?? Okay, this isn't a fork trick right there, since the knight is pinned. But it was the other time.

What I'm wondering now is if some coach in the area is showing them some games where there is a thematic Bxf2+ sacrifice after Nxe5 and they are incorrectly following the theme, thinking it always works in similar positions. That's twice now that I've seen it (and the third time somebody has played the Cordel against me, I didn't try the center fork trick in any way in the first encounter).

Also, the kid annotated my c3 with a question mark and his ...d5 with an exclamation. I wondered whether I should get the tournament director to inform him how making annotations during the game is not allowed or inform him myself after the game, but it didn't seem worthwhile. We didn't have time to go over the game, either, as I would definitely have informed him that c3 is the book move and ...d5 isn't. Anyway, I presume I'll keep seeing this ...Bxf2+ move, since the Cordel seems popular with kids around here and I like Nxe5 at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment