Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Done with CT Art Level 60.

I finished with a score of 64%. I think the score might have been 65% if I hadn't utterly bombed the last problem. The problem was like witchcraft. The moves did not make any sense to me even afterwards. I think sometime it might be helpful to have Bronstein's The Sorcerer's Apprentice because he has that section with 40 combinations where he takes an entire page to describe how the combination works - not just giving variations, but prose describing what's going on. I think I'm going to take this evening off of chess. I've been plowing through these combinations and need a break. I'm still going to play over Alekhine on the train, of course. What else is there to do on the train?

I ordered Build Up Your Chess: Fundamentals and The Mammoth Book of the World's Greatest Chess Games. I also plan to order Boost Your Chess: Fundamentals. I also ordered a couple CJS Purdy collections of annotated games because they were cheap used. I'm excited about using the former as the cornerstone of my improvement. I'm also excited about the latter because I've heard it's a very good collection. I've played over a lot of the historically significant games of chess, but not as many as I would have liked, and one of the strong points of the book is that it brings new, modern, and rigorous analysis to the games.

EDIT: After, of course, I finish Lasker.

No comments:

Post a Comment