Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Yusupov's Chess Course

This isn't a review because I can't really review the books until I've used them. One thing I noticed in glancing over them is that Build Up Your Chess 1 and Boost Your Chess 1 are 90% tactics. There are a couple lessons in each that are strategic, but the rest are tactics. I looked on the Quality Chess site and the higher orders of the series are more strategic. This definitely makes sense. I am looking forward to working hard on these books as Yusupov directs: spending at least 5-10 minutes with each position in the lesson, setting them up on the board, moving them around, trying to understand fully, and then taking 5-10 minutes on each test position treating it like a position in a game and then writing down all my thoughts and the relevant variations. Each part of the lesson should take 1-2 hours. I plan to study these books while at home with a chess set. Very structured. I think the structure will be very good for me, because, while I've been working hard on tactics, it's mostly been solving problems and I've had very little thematic education (besides Lasker's phenomenal chapter on combinations, which I think has been very helpful). The combination of thematic education plus systematic discipline will help me a lot in OTB play, IMO. Most of my chess time, however, will be on the train to and from work, mostly playing over annotated games. I can't concentrate as much on the train, so I will not be doing Yusupov there.

Somebody mentioned somewhere an interesting thought about My System: the material is basic and outdated in some ways, but authors of modern positional texts don't cover the stuff in My System in as much detail as they ought to because they assume everybody has already read it. I'm going to wait until I am at least 1600, perhaps more, to start reading it, however.

I need more tournament play!

EDIT: I realize that the lessons aren't directly 90% tactics, but the topics for 90% seem a lot more tactical, if you catch my drift. In retrospect, I think this statement is wrong. And here's a more exact person commenting on it: http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/gm/115#comment-3341

No comments:

Post a Comment