Monday, March 21, 2011

I won my CICL game.

Turns out they got the colors wrong in the e-mail and I played black. Guy played the center game. I messed up a little and let him take one of my pawns, but his king was still in the center and his queen was wandering around, so I figured I could arrange something to get my pawn back and I did - in such a way that we traded queens and destroyed his pawn structure, making it easy to eventually win a pawn and then the endgame. I mostly slacked off at that point, since the win was in the bag. It was a matter of pushing the passed pawn and forcing him to give up a piece for it, then repeating the process. The guy was mildly unsporting - he tried to claim a draw at the end when I was about to queen a pawn because he moved his king back and forth three times, but I explained that's not how threefold repetition of position works, then he tried to claim I stalemated him, but I pointed out he had a legal move, so he then resigned.

I noticed one inaccuracy at the end that would have shifted me back from a crushing victory to an easy victory - giving him a pawn back when I was two pawns up at a point where one pawn is still decisive. Other than that, no huge flubs, but plenty of minor inaccuracies.

No comments:

Post a Comment