Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Yusupov Chapter 5

I know I was going to take it slow, but chapter five was an easy tactical chapter on double checks, so I did it quickly and got a perfect score on the test. The next section, though, is hard, so I'll spend plenty of time on it. I enjoy this a lot.

Still playing around with ideas in the bishops of opposite color endgame. Perhaps Black can hold the draw. The direct attempt to push the a-pawn after Be1 or Bd2 doesn't seem to work. If you get the white king behind his pawns and push, ...bxa3 followed by Bb4 draws immediately because the white king is now stuck in the corner and the white bishop is stuck guarding the f-pawn. If the king goes north and tries to push the a-pawn, the bishop is the only thing that can stop the a-pawn after bxa3. But, really, I don't have the analytical apparatus to think about this rigorously just yet.

EDIT: King goes north, see below. Kb5 Ka4 a3 and there's the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment