Saturday, March 5, 2011

Still a patzer

It was a three round G65+5.

I won my first game against a 1400 playing the Dragon. I forced a trade of the dragon bishop, won a pawn, then won the exchange, but had to give the exchange back to stave off his attack. Endgame was easy, won another pawn, used up all of our time, but he made me mate him, which was annoying. I had a bishop and two pawns against his king. You can resign there. I'm not going to lose on time...

The second game, a 1350 played the Scandinavian. At one point in the opening, I noticed that he'd win a pawn in one line, but I had a big lead in development that might turn into an attack, so I thought I had some compensation, but nothing came of it. He held onto his pawn until the two rook endgame, I traded down to a rook endgame, thinking that I could hold onto the draw, maybe, but he engineered a trade of rooks to a dead lost (for me) pawn ending. Pretty sure it was dead lost, I didn't really have any good counterplay. I didn't feel so bad after I got home and looked him up and saw he'd gained 170 rating points in his last tournament and 100 in the tournament before that, so this suggested that he's underrated. In that last tournament, he beat all four of his under-1700 opponents and lost to his three over-1700 opponents, which suggests a higher rating than 1350.

The third game, I just straight up lost to some 1375 who played the English. I miscalculated a line so I lost a pawn, then I made a little patzer mistake a few moves later trapping my own bishop, so I decided to just resign and go home.

So I went 1/3 with a really shitty 1260 performance rating. At least that first game went okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment