Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I now have scid!

I'm trying to figure out how to use it. I'm not at the point where it's extremely useful to me, of course. I downloaded a dirty, but free, database of 1.7 million games and I'm going to go back and add a bunch of games from TWIC to it (and try to clean it up a little). Then I am going to enter all the old games of mine I can find into my own little database and analyze them there. I downloaded Arena, too (why? I don't know). Now I just have to figure out how to tune these things to do exactly what I want.

Here are some things I'm thinking of doing that will still be helpful for somebody at my low level of playing besides the obvious tracking of my games:
1. Taking key positions I remember from blitz games at lunch or whatever and making a training database out of them.
2. Taking key positions out of tournament games of mine and making a training database out of them.
3. Viewing hundreds of games rapidly in order to get a feel for certain positions.
4. Playing a lot of blitz on FICS and using scid to analyze the lot of them, then do #1. Analyzing blitz isn't great, but it lets you quickly make a personally relevant database of training positions.
5. Putting positions from books I'm reading into databases so I can easily play the moves in them or train against them.
6. Starting to think about building the basics of a repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment